This is my version of a quick and easy Jambalaya that you can make with what you already have on hand.
I meal prepped a batch of this for my family on Sunday, that way we’d have it ready to warm up for any meal.
The traditional recipe of Jambalaya calls for several other ingredients, not mentioned in my version, but feel free to add those if you want.
Here’s what I used.
- 1 Onion (I used red because I already had that chopped up in my fridge)
- 2 bell peppers (chopped into small chunks)
- 5-pack of Sausage links
- 1 can of Rotel ( I used the Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups white rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- In a large pan, over medium heat, heat up the olive oil.
- Add in onion and bell peppers and saute until peppers are soft (about 5 mins)
- Add in sliced sausages, stir and let that cook about 2 mins
- Next add the Rotel, salt, pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning, 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water. Stir, cover with lid and cook for about 20 mins. (remember to stir occasionally to keep ingredients from sticking to the pan)
- Once all liquid is absorbed remove pan from heat. Serve up a bowl to enjoy or let cool and place into food storage containers for later.
*Garnish with green onions if you have those one hand (sadly I didn’t)! They add flavor and beautiful color.