With St. Patrick’s day just a few days away I decided to post the recipe that I’m going with this year. Hope you like, and don’t forget to wear your green!
- 3 lbs flat cut corn beef brisket
- 1 packet spice mix (the one included with the corn beef)
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 6 baby potatoes (cut into quarters)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 head of cabbage (cut into 5 or 6 wedges)
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- Rinse corn beef with cold water, pat dry with paper towel and place on wire rack in a 13in X 9in pan with fat side up.
- Place black peppercorns in ziploc bag and crush with a mallet.
- Sprinkle and press spice mixture and black peppercorns on the top of the brisket.
- Fill roasting pan with water, and cover pan with a large sheet of aluminum foil. Roast in a 325 degree oven for 2 hours.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a roasting pan. Sprinkle dried thyme and salt over veggies. Drizzle with olive oil and mix well, till evenly coated.
- After two hours, remove corn beef and carefully remove aluminum foil.
- Increase over temperature to 350 degrees and return corn beef, uncovered. Also add vegetable tray to the oven and cook 1 hour or until internal temp of corn beef reaches 185 degrees.
- Check tenderness. (should be fork tender)
- Remove beef and veggies from oven (set aside) and tent beef with tin foil to rest.
For the Cabbage:
- In large pan heat vegetable oil. Add mustard seeds. (if they pop, that’s ok)
- Add minced garlic and continue to fry for 20 seconds.
- Add cabbage wedges. Sear 1-2 minutes on both sides.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and salt to taste. Cook about 3 minutes. Transfer to serving dish with corn beef, potatoes and carrots.