One of my favorite things to make is grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup on the side. This tradition started for me at a very young age. I have memories from when I was a little girl, and I would have a sick day home from school, and my mom would always make a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup for lunch. We would always sit down on the couch and watch a movie while we ate, then it was off to bed for me, because after all I was home sick.
This is a tradition I hope to some day pass down to my kids. It’s such a cozy warm tradition. And it’s not just a tradition for sick days. It can easily be a tradition for cold days where the weather is yucky or if you’re snowed in.
Now I titled this “My Grownup Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup” because I put a little spin on it. To the grilled cheese I added bacon and to the tomato soup I added lots of savory spices (which young kids don’t usually have a pallet for). But, what I love about this is even though it has a twist, it still gives the same comforting feeling, just like it always did.
Here’s how to make it:
Grownup Grilled Cheese
- Two slices of bread (here I used buttermilk, but you use what you prefer)
- 4 slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese (sliced thinly)
- 2 slices of cooked bacon (cut into halves so that you’ll have 4 short pieces total)
- Lay out the two slices of bread
- Place 2 cheese slices on each slice of bread
- Place the 4 slices of bacon in a row on top of the cheese, on one slice of bread
- Join halves together (there should be the layering from top to bottom: bread, cheese, bacon, cheese, then bread)
- Spread butter on outside of both top and bottom slice of bread
- Place in hot pan over medium heat
- Cook until golden brown color and cheese is melted
- Serve with tomato soup and enjoy!
Grownup Tomato Soup
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp Savory seasoning mix
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Place all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and simmer until everything is mixed together
- Place in bowl, serve and enjoy.
I hope this pair of recipes finds you and your family healthy, but just wanting a little comfort.