It’s a cold rainy day in California. Perfect for soup!
And that’s exactly what I decided to make. I made a chicken and bacon tortellini soup.
- 5 slices of bacon ( I used Costco’s Farmers Applewood Smoked Thick Cut Bacon)
- 1/2 a yellow onion chopped
- 4 small chicken Breasts (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 a bag of frozen crinkle-cut carrots
- 1/3 a bag of frozen peas
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 3 cups of water
- 1 TBS of chicken flavored better than bouillon
- 1 package of Tortellini pasta (I used the Costco Kirkland brand 5-cheese Tortellini)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Savory seasoning blend (my spice rack came with a pre-made one, but Italian seasoning would work just fine)
- Dash of garlic powder
- Start by adding your bacon into your pot. Let that cook until it is a light golden color.
- Add the chopped onions straight into the pot. (Yes, with ALL that yummy bacon grease still in there! TRUST me, it’ll add so much flavor to the soup!)
- Once the onions look translucent add the chicken and let that baby cook and soak up all that yummy flavor.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, add your frozen peas and carrots and put the lid on the pot and let those steam and soften. (about 3 minutes)
- Add the chicken broth, 3 cups of water and the 1 Tbs of Better Than Bouillon.
- Mix that until combined. Add the Tortellini and let that come to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes (per tortellini package directions)
- Add a dash of garlic powder, the savory/Italian seasoning mix and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce to simmer for about 5 minutes to let all the flavors combine.
- Serve and enjoy!